December 11, 2010

Wii Controller Cookies

Sorry for being MIA, but finals are coming up and I've been busy studying and writing papers :(. But luckily, that means that a week from today, it'll be winter break and I'll be free to turn on the Christmas music and start baking my Christmas cookies. I can't wait! This week though, I thought that I'd post about something fun, a little something to brighten up the day.


Remember the controller cookies I posted about back in April? Well today I'm adding another controller to the bunch: Wii Controller Cookies. I enjoy making controller cookies because it gives me an excuse to browse the candy aisles at the supermarket. I ended up getting white "mystery" Airheads and confetti sprinkles for some of the buttons. Sadly though, I couldn't seem to find a clear candy to use for the "A" button. But no worries, I just ended up making my own clear gummy candy buttons :).


Wii Controller Cookies
sugar cookie dough

Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out the dough to 1/4" thick between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off the top layer of plastic wrap and with a knife and ruler, cut out 1 1/8" x 4 1/2" rectangles from the dough. Place dough rectangles on parchment lined baking sheets.

Use your finger to round off all the rectangle corners. Put the baking sheet in the fridge to chill for 5-10 minutes. Then place the sheet in the oven to bake for 8-12 minutes. Once done, let them cool on the sheets for a few minutes and then move them to a cooling rack.

"+" Candy Control Pads
white "mystery" flavored Airheads

Unwrap a white "mystery" Airhead, place it between two sheets of parchment paper, and put it on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave the plate for 10 seconds. Take the still sandwiched Airhead, place it on a flat surface and use a rolling pin to flatten it to about 1/8" thick while it's still soft. Wait for it to firm up and then take a pair of kitchen shears and cut out little "+" shaped control pads. Place them on a piece of parchment paper until ready to use.


Wii Buttons
white confetti sprinkles
red, blue, black food writer markers

Take a red marker and draw the "power" symbol on white sprinkles. Use a blue marker to draw the "home" symbol. Then take a black marker to draw "+" signs, "-" signs, "1"s, and "2"s on white sprinkles. One side of the sprinkle is usually smoother, draw on the smooth side.


Clear Gummy "A" Buttons
3 envelopes gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
pearl milk tea straw
black food writer marker

Place the water, sugar, and gelatin in a pot. Heat it over low heat just until both the sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Take the pot off the heat, add the almond extract, and mix. Pour the mixture into a glass or ceramic container so that it forms a layer about 1/8" thick (I poured it onto two ceramic plates with tall sides).

Chill in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, until firm. Remove the plates from the fridge. Use a pearl milk tea straw to punch out circles from the mixture. Place them onto a sheet of parchment paper. Then use the black food writer marker to draw an "A" on each gummy button.


Decorating the Cookies
sugar cookie icing
"+" candy control pads
Wii buttons
clear gummy "A" buttons
black & blue food coloring
toothpicks


Make the sugar cookie icing and cover the cookies with it, using a spoon to spread it out. Place the Wii button with the red "power" symbol on the top left corner of each cookie. Put a clear gummy "A" button 1/3 the way down from the top of the cookie. Place a "+" candy control pad halfway between the "power" button and the "A" button.

In the middle of the cookie, put a "home" button. On the right of the "home" button, place a "+" button and on the left of the "home" button, place a "-" button. Place a "1" button 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the cookie. Then place a "2" button under the "1" button. Wait for the sugar cookie icing to dry.

When the icing is dry, mix a bit of dark gray sugar cookie icing, mixing the icing with a bit of black food coloring. Take a toothpick and draw 4 lines on the control pad buttons. Between the "home" button and the "1" button, dot 6 rows of 3 gray dots. Then, between the "2" button and the bottom of the cookie, dot out 3 gray dots in a row. Mix a bit of blue sugar cookie icing and make a blue dot in that same row to complete the cookie.

30 comments:

  1. Whoa! That is super creative. Everything you have on your blog takes a lot of creativity, but using airheads and making your own candy for the buttons....amazing! Good luck on your finals, the week will be over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ester: Thank you for the sweet comment. It's very encouraging!

    CinderellaNeverAfter: Thanks! By the way, your sn is super cute!

    Ivy: Glad you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool. I need this for our next video game party

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this crazy idea!

    have a great time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is by far one of the most cutest cookies I have ever seen. I love your dedication in getting ever little detail. It looks far too good to eat but would make for a perfect treat for a birthday party. Awesome job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki: Video game party! Sounds fun :D.

    F. Mezzaluna & Paula: Thanks. Glad you like them!

    Jara: Indeed, they would be a fun birthday treat! Thank you :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get over how insanely cute these are. And I thought I had overly meticulous OCD baking tendencies.... Amazing job, congrats! Where's the wrist strap? JK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really cool!! Like too legit to eat. Omg, they're adorable <3 I'm so trying this out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just discover your blog and already ADORE IT.

    luv from italy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant idea! These are the cutest (nerdinest) cookies I've ever seen. I've got my eye on you, hon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stella: Thanks, haha I do love details. I totally forgot about the wrist strap. Well, hopefully there's no danger of people chucking these controllers into a TV :P.

    munchimonster: Yay, do try it out!

    camee: Grazie! Sono molto felice che ti piace il mio blog :).

    Frankie: Why thank you :D. Being nerdy's always a plus in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! My husband loved seeing them too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. darling susan s can't believe how wonderful your creations are my name is Zoe i am from England and i make chocolate wedding cakes. It might tickle your fancy to know that your idea for making pink chocolate from freeze dried fruit has already been transformed into a chocolate wedding cake keep baking babe your a natural love Zoe m

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soo & thedabble: Thank you!

    Zoe M: Thanks! I'm glad to see that my ideas are being put to good use :). Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing these! I’m sugared out but still have cookie exchanges this week. So, I’ve looking for some cookie inspiration. So, I’ve got a cookie linky up on my blog, I’d love it if you would come add these so my readers can all try them out! http://www.gourmetmomonthego.com/2010/12/12-days-of-christmas-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a question ><
    (Sorry for the disturb)

    I'm an italian girl, I saw your cookies and I'd want to do a lot of them xD

    For the "A" button you write, in the recipe, 3 envelopes gelatin. But how much is it? I mean, in grams. Or in another measure.

    Thanks for the attention ^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so awesome! I wrote an article about your idea on my blog, hope my readers also like it ;-)
    Best regards from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so creative! I love these. They would be perfect to serve if you host a Wii tournament.

    http://nofindersfee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder if for the clear A buttons you could have used clear/white spice drops and just washed the sugar off (like these: http://www.candy.com/assets/images/spicedrops.jpg). Just a shortcut idea! Love these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mandy: Thanks for telling me sharing; I'll check it out.

    Ishirane: 1 envelope of gelatin is 7.2g so 3 envelopes would be 21.6 grams. I probably should start adding metric units to my recipes. Thanks for the question.

    Nebenspiel: Thank you!

    Caro: I was actually thinking about using clear spice drops! But I was too lazy to run to the grocery store again, haha. You could probably just use the straw to cut into the gum drop after trimming it with kitchen shears so that you get only the unsugared areas. It's a good idea though :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found you blog the other day. I love this idea! My son turns nine on Thursday and I made the cookies, just need to ice them and decorate them. I'm not sure how they will look!

    Thanks for the tip for clear white spice drops, I was wondering if there was an easier way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lisa: Totally late comment, but I hope the cookies turned out well! And glad to see the spice drop tip being put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wii cookies hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this , you did an excellent job , my son would love this , I am so glad I found your blog , I love it .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Elle: Haha, yup.

    Shabs: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is so much better than all the other wii mote controllers than I've ever found! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete