February 15, 2012

Multilingual Conversation Hearts

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day!!! Thanks to all of you who replied to my facebook post. Your replies were quite helpful for today's post.


Every year, Conversation Hearts always feature some new messages to keep up with the times. But why stop with just English? I love learning languages, so I decided to combine that fascination for foreign languages with my Valentine's project for this year. I'm fluent in French and Chinese and I've learned basic Spanish, Italian, Japanese, and Hungarian, so a combination of my own knowledge, the awesome input from some of you, and Google helped me come up with the messages for these Multilingual Conversation Hearts.


I first came up with the idea when I noticed the leftover letters from my parents' Do-It-Yourself Stamp Kit sitting in a cabinet, waiting to be used. I saw that in addition to the normal letters and numbers, there were some special character stamps, like Ä, Þ, and Ɖ, and thought it'd be cool to incorporate the stamps into something on this blog. I guess I also had Valentine's Day candy on my mind as well because not long after that, I ended up with this idea.


These aren't an exact match to the actual candy, but they're pretty close (they're softer in texture). I can't really judge the taste because I used flavors different from the actual candy flavors (I basically found all the extracts I have and used one for each color). But these candies are totally fun because they're customizable in color, flavoring, shape, and message. Plus, the recipe isn't too difficult. This would definitely make a great project for next Valentine's Day :).

"I Love You" from top L->R:
Russian, Malay, Norse, Japanese, Greenlandic, Portuguese, French, Swedish, Dutch, Hungarian, Chinese, Greek, Irish, ASL, Tagalog, Italian, German, Finnish, Vietnamese, Korean, Spanish

Conversation Hearts
adapted from about.com

1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
1 tsp light corn syrup
1 lb powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
assorted flavoring extracts
assorted food colorings
heart-shaped cookie cutter (ex. Linzer cookie or fondant cutters)


Combine the gelatin, water, and corn syrup in a small bowl and mix. Microwave 15-20 seconds, or until the gelatin dissolves and mix again. Pour this mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. (Or if using a hand mixer, pour into a large bowl). Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar to the bowl and mix on low until the sugar is combined.


Add the remaining powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated, and repeat until the 1 pound of powdered sugar is used up (you should end up with a stiff dough). Dust a flat work surface with the extra powdered sugar and scrape the candy dough out onto the surface. Knead the dough on the surface until no longer sticky.


Split the dough into six pieces. To each add the color and flavoring extract of your choice, kneading it on a powdered sugar dusted surface until the color is well mixed and the dough is no longer sticky. When you aren't using a piece of dough, make sure to keep it covered in plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out.

(For the extracts, I added from 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp extract, depending on taste for each dough. If I used more extract, I ended up mixing more powdered sugar into the dough to make it less sticky. I stuck with the original colors: pink, yellow, orange, green, purple, and white. The corresponding flavors were: Pink=Strawberry, Yellow=Lemon, Orange=Orange, Green = Mint, Purple = Vanilla, White = Almond.)


Once done coloring and flavoring, place a piece of dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. Roll it out to between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch thick. Use your heart cookie cutter to cut out hearts, placing the cut-outs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roll up the scraps and cut out more candies. Then repeat with the rest of the dough. (If the cutter gets too sticky, wash and dry it.)


Let the candies dry for at least 24 hours. It is crucial that the candies are totally dry or else the food coloring later used to write on words will run. To test, bite into a candy. If it's still wet in the center, let dry for longer. At this point, to dry faster, turn up your oven to the lowest temperature (for me it's 170°F). Let it preheat. Once preheated, turn the oven off. Take your sheets of candy and place them in the oven with the door closed for 10-15 minutes. Remove and let totally cool.

Decorating Conversation Hearts
red liquid food coloring
toothpicks
Do-It-Yourself Stamp Kit


Method #1 (simple): Dip a toothpick in red food coloring and use it to write on the candies. I used this method for characters that weren't in my stamp kit, like for Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Russian/Greek/ASL, but you can always use it if you'd rather not use a stamp kit.


Method #2 (harder): Pick all of the stamps off one of the plastic boards that holds all the individual letter stamps (you can keep the stamper for your own use). Use tweezers to place stamps back on the holder to form your message (remember it goes on backwards to show correctly on your candy). Dip a toothpick in red food coloring and use it to color the letters. Place your candy on top of the letters, press down on the candy to make sure the letters stamp on, and remove. (If some letters don't show up too well, use a toothpick to draw it in).

Makes about 180 heart candies

21 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! I will try this recipe the next time...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! And a Dutch one too :) I'm so jealous of your perfectionism, I just don't seem to have enough patience for these kind of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! So perfect for our now "small world" through the internet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's one of the things that I love about blogging, being able to interact with people from all over the world that I wouldn't be in contact with without the internet.

      Delete
  4. These look great, I love how you've stamped on the wording. I'm from the UK and here we have love hearts but they're a different design. I know the US shops sells love hearts and I believe they look exactly like you have made. Very impressive and better home-made delicious-ness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I didn't know that the UK had different heart candies. I will have to google them. I wonder if the sayings differ from the ones we have here in the US...

      Delete
  5. These colourful candies are so cool! I love that you put different languages on them. You should try with thai language as well! (I'm from Thailand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did attempt one in Thai. But since I have no knowledge of the Thai writing system, I didn't want to accidentally write something weird/offensive because I made a typo or something :P. I would like to learn it someday though; the writing is so cool looking.

      Delete
  6. These look amazing! I saw something similar on Brave Tart's blog last week but I loe what you've done here with all the different languages - such a sweet and meaningful project :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Bravetart's post almost right after I posted this. I wish I saw the recipe earlier so I could have used it for this post! I thought the inclusion of sprite in her recipe was really interesting.

      Delete
  7. As a proud xenophile and linguist, I deeply appreciate how you have acknowledged the importance and beauty of (some of) the different languages in this world. I am in awe of how much time and work you put into this project! BRAVA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really do love foreign languages. Just in creating these candies, I learned so much about the ways that expressing "I love you" differs in various cultures. It was definitely a fun and educational project.

      Delete
  8. I love you in every language! I have to make these, what a wonderful recipe idea! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! These are so beautiful! I love that they're multi-lingual too... I must try this! Bookmarking it.. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spotted "Mahal Kita"! Mabuhay from the Philippines! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! And one in Finnish, I feel so honored ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is seriously amazing! I love all your posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! So adorable (: How long would these stay good for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you keep them in an airtight/moisture-free container, they should be fresh for up to 2 weeks.

      Delete
  14. These are so CUTE!!!!! I love the different languages, I want to make some for my friends at school and write some in Korean for them.... so cute....
    But, is the cookie really really sugaring, or sweet well...

    ReplyDelete