April 03, 2011

Grasshopper Tart

The warm weather here in California has me dreaming of summer. Already I'm seeing shorts and tank tops everywhere as well as lines out the door for ice cream. So, with a craving for something sweet, cold, and refreshing, I decided to make this grasshopper tart.


With my love of all things mint chocolate chip, this was right up my alley. This tart is a remake of the very retro grasshopper pie, a slightly boozy mint chiffon pie with a chocolate cookie crust, based on the grasshopper cocktail (equal parts crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and fresh cream). What I really like about the tart version is the higher crust to filling ratio (when it comes to pies and tarts, I'm very much a crust person) and the addition of mini chocolate chips. This is definitely a wonderful treat for a hot day, or any day, if you love the combination of mint and chocolate.


Grasshopper Tart
adapted from The Boozy Baker

3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups heavy cream, divided
2 1/2 tsp gelatin
1/4 cup crème de menthe
2 tbsp crème de cacao
green food coloring (optional)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

32 chocolate cookies*
5 tbsp melted butter, cooled

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Crush the cookies, either by hand or with a food processor. In a bowl, mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter. Lightly spray the bottom of an 11-inch tart pan (with a removable bottom) with nonstick spray. Take the mixture and press it into the pan, making sure to press it up the sides of the pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and let cool.

In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup of the cream. Sprinkle the gelatin onto the cream and let stand for 5 minutes. While waiting, mix the egg yolks, sugar, and salt together until pale yellow. Set aside. Take the pan with the cream and gelatin and cook it over low heat until all the gelatin dissolves and the mixture is almost simmering (steam will begin rising), about 2 minutes. Then, take it off the heat.

Temper the egg yolk mix by whisking in a few tablespoons of the hot cream mix into the egg yolk mix. Once incorporated, pour and whisk the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan. Place the saucepan over low heat and while continuously stirring, cook for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture can coat the back of a spoon. Take it off the heat.

Pour the saucepan contents into a large bowl. Add the crème de menthe and crème de cacao. Now is the time to add the green food coloring if you decide to use it (for example, if your crème de menthe isn't already green). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until thickened, but not totally set, about 20-30 minutes.

Remove the filling out from the fridge. In a separate bowl, take the remaining 1 1/4 cups whipping cream and use an electric mixer to beat it until there are soft peaks. Lighten the mint filling by mixing in half of the beaten cream. Take the remaining whipped cream and fold it into the mix. Then, fold in the mini chocolate chips. Dollop the filling onto the cooled tart crust and smooth it out. Then chill the tart for 6 hours, until set. (Btw, the tart tastes good frozen as well).

*If you can't find plain chocolate cookies, you can: 1) use chocolate sandwich cookies like Oreos, but just scrape off the filling, 2) if you really can't find any, you could always make your own chocolate cookies from scratch (which is actually what I did)

17 comments:

  1. definitely wanna try it!:))
    but what can i use as creme de menthe substitute?and is creme de cacao just cocoa powder?how about the chocolate wafer cookies.cuz in my region wafer refers to something like those Loacker wafers.. *keen on trying dis recipe!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nabilah: Oops, I meant just "chocolate cookies" not "chocolate wafer cookies" so just plain chocolate cookies will do. Thanks for catching that; I'll go edit it.

    Crème de menthe and crème de cacao are both liqueurs (alcohol). Crème de menthe is a mint liqueur and crème de cacao is a chocolate liqueur (if it were cocoa powder, I'd just write cocoa powder). If you don't have access to these two liqueurs, you could try searching google for "grasshopper pie without alcohol" and use that filling instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so cool and delicious! I'm with you, I adore a large amount of crust-to-filling ratio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely amazing! So creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, this needs to visit my refrigerator soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love love love with your blog :) Thanks for sharing all these amazing ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mint and Chocolate is such a delicious combination. Your tart looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allison: Crust for the win :P!

    Kathryn & Jenn: It was quite delicious :).

    Andrea: Yes, I agree! It's a wonderful recipe.

    DanaTruski-M: Thank you! I'm glad to share all of this. Good things should always be shared in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was so excited to get stuck into this, didn't even think of photos. Worked out great and everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are really creative. I enjoy reading your blog. You got yourself a new fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hands down the cutest food blog ever. Would love to hang out with you in the kitchen! :-P

    http://mmmarilynn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Like your blog :) Check mine out:

    http://www.rednailsandraindrops.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah & Eva: Thanks! It was indeed tasty :).

    Zennic Designs: Haha, thank you for sharing that with me!

    shaz: Welcome to the blog. I'm go glad you enjoy my posts :).

    Marilynn: Thank you!

    Red Nails & Raindrops: Thanks! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I recently came across your blog when I was searching for a recipe for creative mint flavored desserts and LUCKILY I found you! Everything I have seen so far has been delightful and I can't wait to try some of your recipes! I am a beginner baker and I don't have any real experience so I will just admire many of these treats from afar for right now!

    I do have a question for you though, do you have any tips for NOT making my crust too thick? I feel as though no matter how hard I try, whether making a cheesecake or apple pie, my crust is always as hard as a rock and way to thick! Help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make the cheesecake crust thinner, I can only think of using less of the crust mixture to make it. Don't just dump all of it onto your pan at once; work bit by bit, adding a bit of the mixture to make the bottom of the crust, then adding more to make the sides. Also, make sure to not pack your crust down too tightly to the point where it's overly dense. Lastly, perhaps you're baking the crust too long, which will result in a very hard crust.

      In regards to apple pie crust, I think the problem is that you're overworking your dough, which results is a hard, tough crust. In recipes where butter is cut into the crust dough (like pie crust, biscuits, scones), it's essential that the dough is not overmixed.

      Delete
  15. Hi there! I can't wait to try this, I'm making it tomorrow for a friend's birthday! Will it ruin the tart if I leave it in the fridge for more than 6 hours? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete