March 14, 2011

Lucky Spinach Quiche

It's almost spring (in less than a week)! I already see clovers popping up everywhere, which means that St. Patrick's Day is near. I wanted to make something green for St. Patrick's Day and finally settled on making spinach quiche. And for some extra luck, I decided to shape my quiches like 4-leaf clovers.


I didn't want to buy a clover shaped pan, since I knew it'd get very little use and take up a lot of space. Instead, I did some brainstorming and came up with two different ways to make 4-leaf clover shaped quiches. Both involve disposable aluminum pans, one a muffin pan and one a pot pie dish. So pick and choose depending on which method you like better. The great thing about this quiche recipe is that it's pretty adaptable in terms of ingredients. Overall, these would make a great treat at any springtime party.


Lucky Spinach Quiche
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
3 eggs
1/3 cup half-and-half (or milk or cream)
1/2 cup grated gruyere or cheddar
1/4 cup grated parmesan
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup diced onion (white, red, or green onions)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 recipe pâte brisée (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Mix the cream cheese with the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Then add the rest of the ingredients: spinach, gruyere, parmesan, and onions. Mix. Shape the pâte brisée in either of the two methods described below. After the shape crusts are filled, place the aluminum tins on a baking sheet and bake the quiches for about 20 minutes. Cool for a few minutes.

Carefully remove the quiches from the aluminum tins, line the baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the quiches on the lined sheet. Place the quiches back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the crust sides crisp up a bit. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve.

Makes 3 quiches or 12 mini quiches

Pâte Brisée
adapted from Martha Stewart

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 cup ice water

Mix the flour with the salt. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter or your fingers until it resembles coarse meal. Add the ice water, a little at a time, while gently mixing until the dough sticks together. Split the dough in two. Place each half on a piece of plastic wrap and flatten each into a disc. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, until ready to use.

Makes 2 9-inch pie crusts

Shaping the Crusts
Method 1 (3 quiches)
3 aluminum pot pie pans

1) Take a pair of scissors and cut at four equally spaced points on the edge of the pot pie tin. One snip on the right, one on the left, one at the top, and one at the bottom.
2) Start pushing the cut edges towards one another. Crease the pan side, right under the cut, so that the crease points inwards. Be careful because the edges are sharp.
3) Start rounding out the rest of the pan edge, curving the pan edge.
4) Repeat with the rest of the pan edges.
5) This is what the pan should look like when you're done. Now, lightly spray the pan with nonstick spray.
6) Roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. Split it into 3 equal squares and place each square in a shaped pan. Have the extra dough stick out inwards at the four points where the pie pan edges overlap.
7) Take some foil and fold 12 little thick rectangles. Spray the rectangles with nonstick spray. Place each rectangle between the extra dough flaps on each crust. Press the dough into the bottom of each pan and around the foil rectangles. Take a fork and lightly prick the interior of each crust. Then use the fork tines to press into the top edge of the crusts.
8) Refrigerate the crusts for 10 minutes. Then, fill and bake.

Method 2 (12 mini quiches)
2 aluminum 6-muffin tins

1) To shape the muffin tins, from the long side, pull on center of the edge of each muffin cup to a point. Crease side of the cup to emphasize the point (each cup should now look like a raindrop/petal). Lightly spray the two muffin tins.
2) Roll out the pie crust dough between plastic wrap sheets and divide it into 12 squares. Place each dough square in a muffin cup. Press the dough into the muffin tins and trim off extra dough. Use a fork to lightly poke holes on the crust and use the fork tines to press along the top edge of each crust.
3) Refrigerate the lined trays for 10 minutes. Fill the crusts and bake.

48 comments:

  1. What a great way to transform a quiche into a cute shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always think of such nifty and creative ways to shape things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius!! What a simple + stunning idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! Makes me wonder if the seperate molds would work for layered St Patricks day jellies?! Will need to go and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. You are so very very creative with these. I wish i had thought of that. LOL. thanks for sharing nevertheless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I linked over from Be Different Act Normal.

    Your sidebar is filled with amazing things ... you have so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool! What a fun thing to do for St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love to make quiche. This looks like a fun way to make it. You could make all sorts of shapes for different holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog. I am your newest follower and can't wait to see more of your creative posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you've done with these quiches. Such a creative idea! They look delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So creative! I love this! The spinach gives it great green color :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how awesome is this! Great idea! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  13. Besides tasting great these quiches are adorable, like everything else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane, Yuns, Stef: Thanks!

    Zennic Designs: Sounds interesting!

    crustabakes: Thank you! Haha, I'm always thinking that when I'm checking out FG or TS. "I wish I though of that. So simple!"

    Steph, Randi, Kat: Thank you!

    Sonya: Merci beaucoup!

    Lori: Most definitely. Imagine all the different shaped pies that can be made. Star shaped blueberry pie for the 4th of July, heart shaped jam tarts for V-Day, etc.

    Katie: Welcome!

    tryityoumightlikeit: Thank you! Btw, I like your screen name. It's something I try to remind myself every once in a while.

    Chelsea: Thanks. Yup, for once I wanted to stick to a more natural form of green :P.

    Laurel: I will check it out.

    Sue: Thanks :)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How Cute! Might have to make these for breakfast tomorrow! Yumm!

    My St Patty's Day post was Double Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Cream Buttercream ...OH MY, HEAVENLY GOODNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! I wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your quiche today. Thanks so much for sharing it. I'd love for you to stop by if you get a chance.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks great! And thanks for posting it earlier enough to give us time to go get the ingredients before St Patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute idea, my birthday is the 15th so I love all kinds of St. Patty's day stuff. I will definitely remember this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI! This is my first visit to your blog. Love it. Can't wait to read more. Love these quiche ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your ideas are so cool, love this :)

    I really love your blog and am passing on an award that I got! Don't know if you do awards, but your site really inspires me with my own, and I wanted to acknowledge that :)

    Check it out here:

    http://lcsadventuresinlibraryland.blogspot.com/2011/03/award-for-my-new-blog-woohoo.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing! So glad I found this on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Leah, Cindy, Janet: Thanks!

    Erin: Quiche for breakfast? Yum. Oh and those cupcakes sound delicious!

    Katie: Thanks for featuring me!

    Megan: Haha, I was quite proud that I'm finally posting things up before the actual holiday.

    Christina: Birthday and St. Patrick's Day parties? Sounds fun :).

    Marci & Maris: Welcome!

    Lea: Thanks for the award! I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply amaziiiing! Well done! :)
    you can follow my blog!

    cakesensation.blogspot.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I'm in love! I just found your blog through tastespotting.com and just started to browse through it, and I can't tell you how inspiring everything is! (the penguin cookies! Oh, so much love!) I'll definitely go further back and read everything (after finishing my report on filamentous fungi...hehe, hi fellow bio buddy! XD)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Laura: Thank you!

    Jasmin Adili: Thanks! I will check it out.

    Haiyin: Hi fellow bio student (oh fungi, haha). I'm so glad to hear that you enjoy my blog. Thanks for the sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. has anyone tried it without the onions... it sounds good, but my husband is allergic to garlic and onions and is really hard to find goods he can eat that is different then we normally eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to leave out the onions. That's the great thing about quiche recipes: they're easily adaptable. Maybe instead sub a few crumbled slices of cooked bacon or some chopped up ham.

      As with many of my recipes, it's more about sharing a technique (in this case, altering a pan to a clover shape), so if you find another quiche recipe that's more to your needs, use that recipe instead along with the techniques I've presented in this post to make clover shaped quiche :).

      Delete
  28. I LOVE this! I live in Clover SC and I am gonna use this for next Clover girls get together!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This blog is great source of information about saint patrick’s day which is very useful for me. It very important information about saint patrick’s day
    Thank you very much for this useful information.

    Thanks for this great information.

    Best Spinach Recipe For Saint Patrick’s Day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks really good! It has a lot of detail. You got the shape of the clover so accurate. Thanks for the information very useful

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mmmmm, I immediately scurried to the kitchen to see if I had ingredients & all but the gruyere are out there. Tomorrow - Lucky Spinach Quiche at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is the greatest! I love it! A St. Patrick's Day recipe that the whole family will enjoy! We have more St. Patrick's Day party ideas at Creative Party Themes. Have a great St. Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a great and fun idea. Just don't think I have the talent to do it. Sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really want to try this but I have no working printer and hoped to post this on Facebook. Help!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are so cute and it's nice to find a savory recipe for St Patrick's Day! I would like to include the recipe in a St Patrick's Day round up I am hosting, I will give full credit and links back to your site, of course! Have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete
  36. I adore quiche and this is such a cute way of serving it. Who wouldn't want some lucky quiche :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is such a cute recipe! It's perfect for this years St Patrick's day with the weather being so nice. I absolutely love this recipe and used it as an example to represent great St Patrick's Day food. You can see the post here http://boneater.farnhamjournalism.com/2014/03/17/st-patricks-day/ :) xxx

    ReplyDelete