January 14, 2013

Happy 2013!

Another year over and a new one beginning! Happy 2013!


The beginning of a new year is always a time for self-reflection (I'm big on New Years Resolutions). This year, one of my New Years Resolutions is to find balance. As you've probably noticed, these past few months have been lacking in posts. So a part of this "balance" is figuring out how to introduce hobbies back into my life, things like art, baking, learning languages, and of course blogging.


With a semester of medical school behind me, I have a better idea of what I can handle. This semester, I hope to find a way to work my hobbies into my schedule so it's not just study study study all the time. In terms of art, I'm thinking for February, I'm going to challenge myself to do at least one sketch a week (I'll save painting and pastels for summer), and for March, a photograph a day. In terms of baking, I'm going for a more structured approach since the process takes such a large chunk of time, what with planning, buying ingredients, the actual baking, and decorating. And, of course, my goal for blogging for now is to post at least once a month; no more months with no posts >:|.


A little bit on these cookies. For NYE this year, my friends and I decided to stay in for a casual get-together (lots of Mario Party while sipping sangria). To match the mood, I opted for something a bit fancy, but not over-the-top, which resulted in these cookies. They're not too hard to make and are quite pretty. I really like the contrast between the more demure pink icing with white pearls and the wilder black icing with silver balls. These are perfect for both a fancy dressy event and a casual night-in chilling with friends.


P.S. Did any of you make any interesting New Years Resolutions? Share :)!

2013 Cookies
sugar cookie dough recipe
sugar cookie icing recipe
pearl sprinkles
silver sprinkles
gel food coloring

number cookie cutters
toothpicks

Make the cookie dough as indicated in the recipe. Cut out 2, 0, 1, and 3 from the dough. Place the numbers in order on a parchment lined baking sheet so that the numbers are touching. No need to chill the cut-outs. Bake the cookies until the edges are slightly golden. Take them out, let them cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

Let the cookies completely cool before decorating them. Make the sugar cookie icing as indicated in the recipe. Tint it with gel food coloring (since it's pretty concentrated, you won't need to add that much. Spread the icing on the cookies. I used a toothpick to spread it, but you can probably pipe it on with a piping bag (it'd probably go much faster). After icing a cookie, place either the pearl or silver sprinkles on the cookie, following the numbers. Repeat with the other cookies. Let the icing dry and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Love the cookies! I hear ya on finding balance- as i get older i find that harder and harder to do. My resolution is always kinda the same, enjoy everyday with the time we are given, good and the bad. Happy new year and good luck in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! the cookies are fantastic! the design of it is a kind a bit of difficult to make. Your so great! because you made that kind of cookies. My resolution in this year is to live life to the fullest and be strong in every things that I will encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so cute! Really hope i can make one edible for this hearts day. :D Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you cookies was creative and fantastic but it be lovely will you prepare this in a formal dining room..,it adds beauty to your recipe.

    dining tables and chairs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahoj, ráda bych tě pozvala na svůj blog . Předem podotýkám, že mi nejde o reklamu, ale o to, aby se o problematice, které se na svém webu věnuju, dozvědělo co nejvíce lidí a poučilo to tak laickou veřejnost, která je většinou jen plna předsudků. Blog je věnován poruchám příjmu potravy a hlavně boji s těmito nemocemi. Nehodlám se řadit k thinspo nebo podobným komunitám. Na blogu najdeš i trochu z cesty mým životem, každodením bojem s PPP, ale také spoustu rad a tipů týkajících se kosmetiky, fotek, článků o mně samé, beauty vychytávky, recenze, recepty, které nikde jinde nenajdeš a mnoho dalšího. Kdyby tě blog zaujal, budu moc ráda, když zanecháš komentář nebo se můžeš stát dalším z mých ctěných "followers". Budu se moc těšit na tvou návštěvu a přeji krásný zbytek dne. Andie :)*
    www.andie-chambers.blogspot.cz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you still blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where are you located In California!?

    ReplyDelete