January 17, 2012

Strawberry & Champagne Truffles

It's my first post of 2012! I really love the beginning of the new year since it's a good time to reflect on the past year while looking forward to the new one. Considering how much I love making lists and brainstorming plans, New Year's resolutions are always a must for me. This year, in addition to my personal goals, I decided that I'd come up with some blog specific resolutions as well.


2012 Diamonds for Dessert Resolutions
1) Blog Improvements (convert to metric, figure out yields, edit comments coding, add blog extras, etc..)
2) Add an About Me page w/FAQ!
3) Work on food styling & photography
4) Conquer Candy & Cake Pops (weaknesses of mine)
5) Work on answering e-mails more promptly

What's Coming Up on DforD in 2012?
1) Baking 101
2) The Hunger Games series (totally in love with the books, especially Catching Fire. So so excited for the movie!)
3) Literary Inspiration (ex. fairy tales, fantasy stories, nursery rhymes, my favorite novels & classics)
4) Fashion & Art
5) TV Shows I love (ex. Parks & Rec, Adventure Time, Pushing Daisies, childhood cartoons)
6) Superheroes (this year seems to be the year of superhero movies)
7) MORE CAKES & BREAD!


Now about today's recipe. These truffles were originally for NYE, but due to recipe complications I couldn't get this up until now (yeah... New Years resolution #4). But I figure with Valentine's Day coming up next month, now is still a good time to post this. What better way to celebrate Valentine's Day than with chocolate, strawberries, and champagne? Below, I provide two different options for these truffles. They can be kept separate as strawberry truffles and champagne truffles, or you can combine them with one flavor in the center and the other on the outside. The second option takes some more time, but it's fun biting into one of them and having a surprise in the center.


Strawberry Truffles
8 oz. white chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp of strained strawberry puree
red food coloring, optional
powdered sugar

Melt butter and white chocolate together in a microwave and mix. Heat cream in a small saucepan over low heat until simmering. Pour the cream into the white chocolate/butter mixture and combine. Mix in the strawberry puree. Add a bit of red food coloring if the mixture isn't pink (it depends on how red your strawberries were). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for a few hours.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a spoon to scoop out ping pong ball sized portions of the strawberry truffle mixture onto the parchment paper. Place the sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours, until the mixture is firm.

Take the tray out and roll each portion into a ball. Roll each ball in powdered sugar and serve immediately. If not served immediately, place in an airtight container and keep in freezer until ready to serve (they might need to be re-rolled in powdered sugar when served).


Champagne Truffles
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup champagne
dutch processed cocoa powder

Place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set aside for now. Heat the cream in a saucepan over low heat until simmering. Pour the cream over the chocolate and mix until all the chocolate is melted. Add the butter and gently mix until all the butter is incorporated. Mix in the champagne. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for a few hours.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a spoon to scoop out ping pong ball sized portions of the strawberry truffle mixture onto the parchment paper. Place the sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours, until the mixture is firm.

Take the tray out and roll each portion into a ball. Roll each ball in cocoa powder and serve immediately. If not served immediately, place in an airtight container and keep in freezer until ready to serve (they might need to be re-rolled in cocoa powder when served).


Strawberry & Champagne Truffles
strawberry truffle recipe, above
champagne truffle recipe, above

After chilling both of the truffle mixtures, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a spoon to scoop out gumball sized portions of both the truffle mixtures (basically 1/2 a ping pong ball sized portions from above) onto the baking sheet. Place the sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours, until the mixture is firm.

Take the tray out and roll half of the portions into balls. Use the other half of the portions to wrap around the balls so you have one truffle flavor on the inside and another on the outside. Freeze the tray of wrapped truffles back in the freezer for 1-2n hours, until the truffles are firm.

Remove from freezer, roll each truffle in a ball and if the outside layer is strawberry, roll in powdered sugar. If the outside layer is chocolate champagne, roll in cocoa powder. Serve immediately.  If not served immediately, place in an airtight container and keep in freezer until ready to serve (they might need to be re-rolled in cocoa powder or powdered sugar when served).

15 comments:

  1. wow these sound great! so pretty. I have on my list to do an about me page as well (now to figure out how to do that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking about blog improvements and I realized that after 2 years of blogging, I still don't have an About Me page.

      Delete
  2. These are my kind of truffles! They look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see more truffles! I made your mint chocolate chip ones for Christmas this year and received tons of compliments! :-)

    Also, I'm all for Parks and Rec. Maybe you can do a Ron Swanson themed cookie! Bacon or Mustaches??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad to hear that the mint choco chip truffles were a hit. Ron Swanson will definitely be a part of my Parks and Rec post.

      Delete
  4. These look delish! Very excited for your Hunger Games series, your Harry Potter one was excellently done :) I'm going to make something themed for when we go and see the film hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously can't wait for March because of the Hunger Games movie! I'm still thinking about what I want to make as there are so many possibilities. I'm pretty sure bread is a must though since Peeta is the "boy with the bread".

      Delete
  5. These look absolutely delicious... Love the photographs! The strawberry truffles are adorable! I look forward to your 2012 specials :) And I am huge fan of the hunger games series too.. I think I read the series thrice already :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yup, I've been also been rereading the Hunger Games books. I think the great thing is that every time I reread a book, I always notice new things that I didn't see before, like a perfectly worded sentence, which only makes me love the books that much more.

      Delete
  6. These look so yummy. Looking forward to seeing all your new projects for 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to share them with you :).

      Delete
  7. They seem yummy! So...you like Parks & Rec, eh? What about 30 Rock?! :D I loveee Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, and of course Tina Fey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I saw your page and I like it, I need something like that , I want to start a page as your ans recently I asked a web design company ELCO PLANET (www.elcoplant.com) to develope the page for me.. I was just interasted for web hosting..I can see your blog http://diamondsfordessert.com is stable, can you please advice me about web hosting provider..have you ever heard for www.elcoplanet.com offering hosting, alfa reseller hosting, super alfa reseller... ? thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. how can I combine the strawberry and the champagne together? Im not a fan of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete