January 09, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Truffles

This Christmas, I wanted to make some truffles for my holiday cookie boxes. I've always thought that chocolate truffles make great gifts. They're easy to put together, yet they have an air of decadence and luxury. Plus, they taste delicious.


I wanted to make a truffle that couldn't easily be found in stores. So, I did an internet search and found a recipe for mint chocolate chip truffles. I'm a big fan of mint chocolate chip; it's been one of my favorite ice cream flavors ever since I was a little girl. I'm glad I tried out this recipe because these truffles turned out great: delightfully minty with bites of chocolate in each truffle, and visually appealing, with the pale green contrasting with the brown of the chocolate.


Mint Chocolate Chip Truffles
adapted from about.com

1/3 cup + 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips
a pinch of salt
4 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
2-3 tsp mint extract
green food coloring
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Microwave to melt the white chocolate chips, salt, and butter (about 45 seconds, depending on your microwave). Pour the cream in a small saucepan and place over medium heat until simmering. Remove the cream from heat and add in the white chocolate mixture, whisking until completely combined. Then add the mint extract (to taste) and a few drops of green food coloring (too much will look funny). Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, add the mini chocolate chips and mix.

Place in the refrigerator to chill for 3-4 hours. Remove from the fridge and use a spoon to scoop out small portions that can be rolled into 1" balls. A way to prevent getting your hands sticky is to transfer the mixture from the spoon to a small piece of plastic wrap and use the wrap to pinch it into a ball. Then drop the balls into the cocoa powder and roll them around until thoroughly covered. Chill the truffles until solid. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat; serve at room temperature.

Makes 30 1" truffles.

23 comments:

  1. Love the hidden surprise inside :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. my kids love mint....bookmarking now...!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mint chocolate is one of my favorites too! But I've never had a mint-choc truffle before. I guess I need to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xiaolu: It's fun, getting a minty green candy instead of the expected chocolate.

    sugarswings: Yay :).

    Jessica's Dinner Party: Definitely try them out. They're perfect for mint chocolate lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing, you have captured the look and taste of mint choc chip icecream! Well done =) They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that they look like mint chocolate chip ice cream makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You think they would be fine if they were dipped in melted chocolate instead of powered?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, those look delicious! You gave me such a craving for mint chocolate chip! Thanks? I think ;) I can't wait to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Those are sooo cute. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look SO tasty! i absolutely love mint chocolate chip too; i'll have to add this recipe to my to-do list. :)

    beautiful blog, keep up the great work and please swing by mine sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what does the "T" mean in your recipes? Sorry, I'm new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. when you say "T" in your recipes do you mean teaspoon or tablespoon? i really want to try a lot of your recipes but, i don't know what too add.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my childhood favourite was also mint chocolate chip ice cream - your truffles look so delectable! and the photos are lovely - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carly, oneordinary day, Jenn: Thanks! I saw this recipe and I totally thought mint chocolate chip ice cream. Yum :).

    Anonymous 1: Maybe it'll work if you chilled them in the freezer so they don't melt as easily in the chocolate. If you do try it out, let me know how it turns out!

    La Roquette, anna, & style fare: Thank you!

    Anonymous 2 & 3: "T" means tablespoon. Just remember that the big "T" refers to the bigger measurement (tablespoon), and the small "t" refers to the smaller measurement (teaspoon).

    bhavani: Thanks, fellow mint chocolate chip ice cream fan :)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. heyy, what does 1 T mean? 1 tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing. Mint and chocolate is my favorite combo so I'm definitely going to try these out. Great work as always your stuff is all so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm…since truffles are soft, maybe I'm allowed to eat those. I'll ask my dentist who did my dental implants in Los Angeles if I can eat truffles this week. If I'm not allowed, I'll cook it next month. So I'll just keep this link.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband loves mint, I'm sure he'll be happy once I made some of this for him. I'll use this wonderful recipe when I make one this coming weekend. Thank you very much for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous: Ahh, sorry for the late reply. 1 T is tablespoon. I've been trying to get this changed in all my recipes, but it's been taking a while.

    CamarilloBrillo22: Thanks! They were really tasty. Definitely a must try for mint choco chip lovers.

    Jenna: These are not hard at all. Hope it all worked out :).

    Cecania: No problem, I love sharing recipes. I hope it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this recipe!! I foung it via Pinterest and it will be a birthday present for my colleague!!

    Thank for sharing this delightful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delicious!

    Did you give them away as gifts? I'd like to make some for my cookie boxes this year, but I'm unsure how they will hold up in a tin since you said to refrigerate them. What are your thoughts? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. es133: Glad to hear it.

    Betty: Yes, I did give them as gifts. I feel a bit uneasy about not refrigerating them if they aren't eaten within a day because I was afraid that they'd melt too much (or possibly go bad because there is cream in them). So what I did was just stick a note on each cookie box telling the recipients what things needed to be refrigerated.

    ReplyDelete