December 29, 2015

Chewie Gingerbreadwookiees

Happy Holidays! I can't believe almost another year has passed. As usual, this holiday season, I made my favorite thick and chewy gingerbread cookie recipe. Each year, I try to do a different design, having made Gingy-bread Men (from Shrek) and Gingerbread Gentlemen cookies in the past, I wanted to continue this tradition this year.


I had just seen Star Wars: Episode VIII last week. And having made Chewie Wookiee Cookies (Chewbacca CCCs), Han Solo cups, and Yoda Match Truffles, I thought, why not more Star Wars? I thought about possibly making Ewoks, Jawas, or Banthas, but in the end decided to stick with Wookiees :). Perhaps next time for the other creatures!


I don't have wookiee shaped cookie cutters, so I drew my own stencil on paper and used that to guide my knife when cutting out shapes. Since I wanted to make these cookies holiday themed, I decked out Chewie's bandolier with holiday sprinkles instead of cartridges. But if you want to make this for any day of the year or you don't have holiday sprinkles, you can always draw in the cartridges with white chocolate like I did for one of the cookies in the photos. Enjoy, and may the force be with you :P!


Chewie Gingerbreadwookiees
thick and chewy gingerbread cookie recipe
semisweet chocolate
white chocolate
holiday sprinkles


Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Make gingerbread cookie dough recipe and roll it out to between 1/8-1/4 inches thick. Print out and cut out stencil (should be 5" tall). Spray stencil with nonstick spray (so it doesn't stick to the dough), and use it as a guide for cutting out cookies. Place cutouts on baking sheet. Use a fork to press lines into the dough for "fur". Bake cookies for 10-11 minutes. Let the cookies cool before decorating.


Melt semisweet chocolate. Use it to draw a sash across each cookie for the bandolier. Press in holiday sprinkles before chocolate solidifies. Use a toothpick to draw chocolate eyes and a nose. Melt white chocolate to draw in the teeth.

(If making non holiday Chewie, draw the semisweet chocolate sash, eyes, and nose. Wait for semisweet chocolate to solidify. Melt white chocolate and use it to draw in the cartridges on the bandolier as well as the teeth).

1 comment: