September 20, 2010

Glee Cookies!

Any Gleeks out there? I happen to love TV comedies, plus I'm a sucker for musicals, so Glee definitely fits my bill for awesome TV. Because the season premiere for Glee's second season is tomorrow, I decided to make some Glee character sugar cookies.


The challenge I had with these cookies was translating real people into a cartoon-y cookie form. Luckily, all the characters on the show have distinguishing hair and clothing, so it wasn't that big of a problem. I used the Glee Season 1 Volume 1 DVD set as my reference for the characters (which explains why some characters are missing and why Quinn is still a Cheerio), so for non-Glee watchers, if you're wondering who is who, you can always search up the DVD cover.


Seems like there will be some interesting couple drama in the upcoming season with the introduction of John Stamos's character as Emma's new beau, a love triangle between Artie, Tina, and Mike, the now post-baby Puck and Quinn, and Rachel and Finn getting back together. Oh, and fun cameos like Britney Spears, I can't wait!

Glee Cookies
sugar cookie dough
sugar cookie icing
food coloring
1-inch circle cookie
knife
pearl milk tea straw
chopstick
toothpicks

For all the characters, except Sue (she was more square), I started with a circle for the face, and made additional additions with little bits of dough for the hair and ears. Then I used a knife to alter a rectangle for the neck/body. The ears were made as usual, by cutting out circles with a pearl milk tea straw, pushing the circles out with a chopstick, and then cutting the dough circle in half.
Below, on the left side of the pictures, I've illustrated how I generally made each of the character cookie dough shapes. The numbered steps above the pictures are the order in which I iced and decorated each character after the cookies were baked and cooled. The right side of the character image shows how the cookies look after all the icing is done. Mix food coloring with the sugar cookie icing and use toothpicks to spread the icing onto the cookies. Let the icing dry between steps.

Finn
1) Brown hair
2) Blue shirt stripes + collar
3) Gray shirt stripes
4) Peach skin
5) Blue sprinkle eyes
6) Black smile
Artie
1) White shirt collar
2) Brown hair
3) Blue vest
4) Yellow vest stripes
5) Rest of white shirt
6) Peach skin
7) Blue sprinkle eyes
8) Black smile + glasses
Puck
1) Brown mohawk
2) Gray shirt
3) Tan scalp
4) Peach skin
5) Purple sprinkle eyes
6) Black smile
Kurt
1) White shirt collar
2) Brown hair
3) Brown blazer
4) Red tie
5) Rest of white shirt
6) Peach skin
7) Blue sprinkle eyes
8) Black smile
Will
1) White shirt collar
2) Brown hair
3) Brown blazer
4) Black tie
5) Rest of white shirt
6) Peach skin
7) Blue sprinkle eyes
8) Black smile
Tina
1) White shirt collar
2) Blue hair stripes
3) Purple shirt
4) Black hair poof
4) Black stripes on shirt
5) Black hair
6) Dark purple stripes on shirt
7) Peach skin
8) Purple sprinkle eyes
9) Red smile
Sue
1) Red tracksuit collar
2) White tracksuit stripes
3) Yellow hair
4) Res of red tracksuit
5) Peach skin
6) Blue sprinkle eyes
7) Red smile
Rachel
1) White shirt collar
2) Mustard yellow cardigan
3) Brown hair
4) Rest of white shirt
5) Peach skin
6) Purple sprinkle eyes
7) Red smile
Quinn
1) Red uniform stripes
2) Blue uniform stripes
3) Yellow hair
4) White areas of uniform
5) Peach skin
6) Blue sprinkle eyes
7) Red smile
Mercedes
1) Purple shirt
2) Orange headband
3) Green part of shirt
4) Black hair
5) Brown skin
6) Purple sprinkle eyes
7) Red smile
Emma
1) Yellow shirt collar
2) Orange hair
3) Salmon cardigan
4) Rest of yellow shirt
5) White sprinkle necklace
6) Peach skin
7) Green sprinkle eyes
8) Red smile
Terri
1) Pink shirt
2) Yellow hair
3) Peach skin
4) Blue sprinkle eyes
5) Red smile

57 comments:

  1. OMG, these are AMAZING! Love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA!! awesome! you've got time!

    when does season start?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, you are killing me. These are effing adorable.
    BTW, I booked my tickets to Paris! :) Send me that list anytime + any advice you have on Parisian tourism. I hear I need to be careful of pickpockets, especially around the effiel tower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer & Sara: Thanks!

    tiffany: apparently I do, haha. season starts Tuesday (tonight) at 9/8c.

    Chocolatte: Thank you. Yay, Paris! I totally want to go back. I'll definitely get you that list of places to visit + random advice before you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't watch, but the cookies are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artie and Puck, Artie and Puck! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 35 yr old daughter ADORES Glee..These are so adorable..the show should see them!!

    Great great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Glee cookies look amazing - it's making me that much more excited for the new season!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! I had to post a link (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com). Did I say brilliant yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're cookies are too cute to be true!!!
    I've featured this post in my tumblr here : http://alvianakalin.tumblr.com/post/1161640159/glee-cookies-damn-it-so-cute-diamonds-for

    Put ur credit already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies are absolutely adorable! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful!
    Can I post it on my blog?
    www.jafuimisssimpatia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, La Table De Nana, Chic Cookies, AlvianaKalin, ellesaysopa: Thank you!

    Mr. P: Haha, well I do love both Artie and Puck :D...

    Chocolate Shavings: Less than 24 hours till the new season, hehe.

    Debora: Thanks. Feel free to mention this post as long as you credit me and post a link back to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should have made a Brittana couple one(:
    Brittany and Santana are soulmates! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks to tastespotting sight I found my way to your wonderful blog. OMG to the nth degree!!!! You are out of this world creative???? Glee+ cookies= LUV!!!!!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are so cute! must have taken quite a bit of time to make. great work! i'm excited for glee tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love! You are incredibly creative. Puck is my favorite. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are absolutely amazing! my favorite is Emma -- you got her down to the T! I was going to do some glee-themed baking too, but I think I'm going just going to pick up a big gulp from 7-11 instead hah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are so super adorable! I featured you today on my blog: http://puertabella.blogspot.com/2010/09/glee-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, those are so cute, and the perfect thing for me to see just before watching the season premier! REALLY impressive and amazingly well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the only thing better than glee starting tonite (in 10 minutes) would be glee starting tonite and me with one of those cookies in my mouth!!!

    excellent job...very creative.

    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous: Brittany and Santana are indeed hilarious together.

    Peggy: Thank you! Yes! Glee & Cookies, two things I love very much.

    Annie: The cookie baking was quick. The decorating wasn't as time consuming as I anticipated since I only made one of each character. I just ended up adding more and more details the longer I decorated, haha.

    Joie de vivre: Thanks :D. Puck is too cool.

    CupcakesOMG!, Rebecca, Susan Crabtree, staci, & shelley c: Haha, thank you.

    Donna: Emma is so cute, I love the clothes she wears. I think I spent more time on her just because I wanted to capture the neatness of her clothing. Thanks!

    Cindy: Thank you. I'm guessing you're on the East Coast? I have to wait a couple more hours here in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahaha! You just made my night! I had just been watching previews for the premiere before I went on foodgawker; I had to laugh when I saw your cookies in the top row! There are definitely some friends that I will have to share your post with so that we can replicate your genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're amazing. (: Not gonna spoil anything for you, but after tonight's episode you'll need to make changes to one of those cookie couples. [sad]

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my god, I love these! Can't wait to watch Glee tonight! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're so talented! These are too cute to eat. Love them! =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome! Love these! So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the BIG, big smile! These are too funny. I may have to copy you for an upcoming girl's TV night!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous: Awesome coincidence. Hehe, definitely try them out.

    Nhi: Thank you. I watched the episode and totally thought of your comment. Sad, but I get the feeling that as we get deeper into the season even more couple changes will be needed, dunno if that's a good or bad thing?

    Cathy, Amanda Ann, claire, Tina, Stef, & Nina Ryan: Thanks for the nice comments!

    A SPICY PERSPECTIVE: Haha, you're welcome. I hope you do try them out! They're quite fun to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohmygosh those are soo amazingly awesome!!!!! Pretty much the coolest cookies (and show!) ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. these are beautiful! maybe too cute to even eat :)
    I shared your cookies on my blog with a link to your site- hope it attracts many more readers :)
    Kimme
    www.hangingonthewall.ca

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lora: Haha :P.

    cloridaaa & Kimme Rae: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is fantastic, I don't even watch the show!

    ReplyDelete
  34. ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sarah
    brightlights-mycity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. http://epicute.icanhascheezburger.com/2010/10/08/cute-food-photos-glee-cookies/

    http://perezhilton.com/2010-10-11-glee-inspired-cookies

    Your cookies were on those two sites. don't know if you received any credit for it! but just thought that you should know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. How very cute... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Tif, justJENN, Sarah, Anonymous 2: Thanks!

    Anonymous 1: Thanks so much for letting me know about the two links!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So cool. And Quinn could easily be Brittany, I guess a different expression would set them apart. Make the hair black and darken the "skin" and you have Santana.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is really fabulous! You are really so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Stopping by from WWEPW. Your cookies are fabulous...too pretty to eat. ;) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! They are great!! and you are so good at doing them! too much work I guess..... to be eaten...just keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is the most creative Gleekdom I have ever seen. You are so fantabulous and that's how I C it.

    http://one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Karine: That is very true. I mean in the show, they basically all wear the same uniform and all have a ponytail.

    dining room table & Amanda: Thanks!

    Lizzy: It was fun work though, hehe. Aww, cookies are meant to be eaten though, no matter how cool they look... or else they'll mold :O.

    Laurelann: Thanks. Haha, love Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello there!
    just want to tell you that you are so overly amazing (:
    keep this going!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I saw these a little while ago but only just found your blog via flickr.

    Seriously brilliant work! Well done.

    I reckon Puck would be the tastiest...

    ReplyDelete
  46. These are ADORABLE! I knew who everyone was except for Terri (cause she hasn't been on the show in months so I forgot about her).

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous: Thanks!

    Jimmy Trickle: Thank you. Welcome to the blog. Haha, Puck ;).

    Amberdawn: Thanks! Seriously, what happened to Terri? Characters just seem to disappear from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  48. AMAZING... AWWWDORABLE... AWESOME.. and lots more.. love love loved them..

    ReplyDelete