March 27, 2010

Eat Me!

I have an obsession with Alice in Wonderland: all those kooky characters, the fanciful Wonderland, the ridiculous situations, the memorable quotes, the interesting symbolism, and all that crazy nonsense just appeal to me.


What makes Lewis Carroll's novel even more wonderful is the surplus of food references, from the Mad Hatter's Tea Party to the talk of pepper in soup with the Duchess to the bottle marked "DRINK ME," filled with a concoction tasting "of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffy, and hot buttered toast."

[Photo Credit: Top left and bottom right images from Disney's Alice in Wonderland]

I loved both the book and the original Disney animated version, so when the new Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland came out, I definitely wanted to make something Alice-themed. I remembered the scene in the original Disney cartoon where Alice finds the tempting "Eat Me" cookies (in the novel, it was actually an "Eat Me" cake), and decided that I'd recreate those cookies in real life.


..... ..... .....

I'll be entering these cookies in the Eating Your Words Challenge 2010 hosted by Tangled Noodle and Savor the Thyme. The objective? "'Write, spell, or draw' using food or drink."


Eat Me Cookies
adapted from allrecipes

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
pink and orange food coloring
1 oz bittersweet chocolate

Cream the butter with sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine the dry and wet ingredients to form a dough. Split the dough into four parts. Take one part and mix it with a bit of pink food coloring to make pink dough.

Take another part and mix it with a bit of orange and a little bit of pink food coloring to make a peach colored dough. Melt the chocolate and mix it with another part to make a brown dough. Leave the last fourth of the dough plain. Wrap all the doughs separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Roll out the doughs and cut out the cookies into various shapes depending on the designs you want (see Shaping the Cookies below) and place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake them for 8-12 minutes, until cookie edges are golden brown. Let cool on rack. Then decorate with sprinkles and icing (see Decorating the Cookies below).

Shaping the Cookies
General
Roll the different colored doughs out to 1/8 inch thick to cut out all the cookie shapes, except for the checkerboard. Most of the shapes can be made either with a knife (rectangles, squares, stars) or with circle cutters (circles, crescents). The only exception is the wavy pink cookie which was cut out with a circular scalloped edged cookie cutter.

Checkerboard

Take a portion of the uncolored dough and a portion of the chocolate dough. Roll both of them out to 1/4 inch thick. With a knife, cut out 1/4 inch wide strips from both doughs. Take 3 plain strips and 2 chocolate strips and alternate them, pushing them together slightly so they stay stuck in a row.

Make another row with 3 chocolate strips and 2 plain strips and stack that row on top of the first. Repeat until a 5x5 strip block is formed. Then with a knife, cut perpendicularly to the direction the strips are going to make checkered squares.

Decorating the Cookies
Bordered
pink circle cookies
sugar cookie icing
red food coloring
toothpick
Tint the white icing with red food coloring. With a toothpick dot the border of the circle cookies with red icing making sure that the dots are close enough so they touch.

Striped
peach square cookies
sugar cookie icing
pink food coloring
toothpick
Tint the icing with a tiny bit of pink food coloring. With a toothpick draw 3 diagonal lines in the center of each cookie. Then border each cookie with tiny vertical lines of icing.

Take One 1
peach rectangle cookies
sugar cookie icing
red food coloring
toothpick
Tint the icing with red food coloring. With a toothpick trace out "TAKE ONE" on each cookie. Then draw a rectangular border on the cookies.

Take One 2
peach cookies
sugar cookie icing
green food coloring
toothpick
Tint some of the icing with a bit of green food coloring and keep some of the icing white. With a toothpick trace out "TAKE ONE" on the cookies with the green icing. Then draw a wavy line above the writing with a tiny dot underneath the line. Finally take the white icing and draw out the diagonal line border.

Try Me 1
crescent-shaped cookies
sugar cookie icing
pink food coloring
purple sprinkles
Tint the icing with a tiny bit of pink food coloring. Use a spoon to spread the icing on the cookies. With purple sprinkles, spell out "TRY ME" in the center of each cookie. Then place 3 purple sprinkles in a row above the lettering.


Try Me 2
circle cookies
sugar cookie icing
purple sprinkles
toothpick
With a toothpick, draw 3 horizontal lines across the cookie. Then draw 3 vertical lines perpendicular to the 3 horizontal lines. Wait for the icing to dry a little bit. Trace out "TRY ME" with icing on the cookie. Then fill in the iced "TRY ME" with purple sprinkles.

Eat Me
chocolate star cookie
sugar cookie icing
purple food coloring
pink and purple crystal sprinkles
toothpick


Tint the icing with purple food coloring. Use a spoon to ice the star cookies. Sprinkle some pink and purple crystal sprinkles along the arms of the star. Wait for when the icing is almost dry. Then with a toothpick scrape out "EAT ME" from the icing in the center of the cookies.

34 comments:

  1. Your checkerboard cookies are so precision! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really adorable <3
    I think I might make these for easter :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw these on Foodgawker! They are so cute and no doubt delicious. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies if I sound spammy (but I couldn't find an e-mail address in your profile) - would you be interested in entering this in our "Eating Your Words" challenge? The prize is an aeblsekiver pan and the winner will be chosen by Chef Andrew Zimmern of TravelChannel's Bizarre Foods. If you're interested, please e-mail me at tanglednoodle@gmail.com and I can send details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love them. And they look just like the ones in the movie! Brilliant job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue: Thank you :).

    h.tea: I hope you do!

    Tangled Noodle: Thanks! The contest sounds interesting. I'll definitely consider it!

    Jojo: Thank you! I was hoping that they'd look alike! Though now as I compare mine with the movie pictures, I see some little differences that I didn't notice before... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at the pictures of your cookie and it's and found all of them cute. I love the checkerboards. I am certain that kids and even grown-ups would be tempted to eat this! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! I've been wanting to do the same thing, but I was unable to find the images to base the cookies off of.

    Yours look absolutely wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUSAN YOU ARE SO WONDERFUL and so are your cookies. <3 Keep up the awesome work and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy: Thanks! I'm actually thinking about doing a post just about checkerboard cookies sometime in the future (after my next round of midterms).

    whisk-kid: I actually haven't seen the Disney cartoon for a while so I just did a quick Google search for an image. For some reason now that I think about it, I remember Alice taking a cookie out from a treasure chest box, not a bowl. Hmm... I really should rewatch the movie just to see where this bowl of cookies enters the picture, hehe :D.

    Joanna: Hi Joanna! Thank you :). I just remembered that I need to check out your new website!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies are beautiful and perfect!! I love the graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These are incredible and thank you so much for entering Eating your Words! By the way I was also a Biology major

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a clever entry. I hope you win. Alice In Wonderland anything is all the rage over here in London at the moment.

    You should definitely write a cookbook at some stage. Your recipes and creations are showstoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Memória: Thank you! Yay, I'm glad you like my drawings!

    Jennifer: That's awesome, your having been a biology major. It's interesting to see that a lot of food bloggers that I know of were/are science majors. One of the reasons that I like baking so much is because it combines my love for science (all that experimenting, the chemical reaction of the ingredients, and the precision required) with my love for art (designing the "look" of the final product).

    Culinaria Libris: That's cool! I love Alice in Wonderland so much (I should be in London right now enjoying the trend, haha). I would love to write/design a cookbook (full of lots of pretty pictures) someday, if given the chance; it's totally a dream of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are so cute! I love the details

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just came across your beautiful blog and I'm in love! These cookies are too adorable and I love the drawn diagrams. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mani: Thank you :)!

    Karen: Yay, thank you! I just started reading your blog recently; your posts are so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a cool blog! Such beautiful cookies and wonderful tutorial, too. Overall, a great Eating Your Words entry. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Susan,

    Your are so smart that the way you made checkerboard.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Annie: Thanks :P.

    photo: Thank you. I'll probably be doing another post on checkerboard cookies sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Blog :) you have some amazing work!
    I have every intention of using your recipe for the "eat me" Alice cookies for my Mad Hatter Tea Party I am hosting.

    Thanks ever so much.

    And keep doing what you do..b/c its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. kristen: Thanks! Yes! Mad Hatter Tea Party: sounds great! Alice + Theme Party + Dessert = <3!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These bring me so much joy! Your cookies are so accurate! I'm totally inspired. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ariana: I'm glad you like them! Alice in Wonderland <3!

    ReplyDelete
  25. these are so cute! i have a quick question, can you leave the dough in the fridge overnight? because i just placed them in there and it's already 1am lol!
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous: Sorry for such a late reply; I must have accidentally skipped over your comment :(. You've probably already made the cookies, but yes, the dough can totally be refrigerated overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  27. these are so creative! I want to try them but I feel like I'm not artistic enough to make this work! :/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Elle: Thanks! It just takes some practice and a bit of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I see its been a while since the last post - but I'm so happy to come across this blog. Im going to attempt these for my daughter's second grade fairy tale ball (shes going as the Queen of Hearts!). I only hope I do them justice... :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay!! I <3 you so much right now!! I've been thinking about an Alice theme for my wedding, and these are so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are excellent! Planning on making them for a book club meeting this weekend, and then featuring them in my blog (with a link back to you, naturally). Just what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My daughter saw me looking at these cookies over my shoulder. Now she can't wait to dress up as Alice for Halloween and have me make these cookies to take in to her class, even though it's still summer! I think I'm going to need to practice making them beforehand. (Something tells me my family won't be complaining about that.)

    ReplyDelete