January 01, 2010

Frosty the Snowman

Happy New Year!!! My last Christmas post, I'm finally caught up. I saved this post for last because even though Christmas is over, as long as it's still snowing (or... still winter if it doesn't snow where you live), you can still make these snowmen macaroons without question.


These would make a fun winter afternoon DIY project, an indoor snowman building contest or something of the sort, an alternative to making gingerbread houses. You could set out plates of the baked coconut macaroon heads and bodies, different candies for decorating, and melted chocolate for kids to construct their own edible snowmen.


Coconut Macaroon Snowmen
adapted from Chocolate and Zucchini

9 oz unsweetened dried coconut flakes (250g)
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar (160g)
a pinch of salt
3 medium egg whites

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the coconut flakes with the sugar and salt. Add the 3 egg whites and mix till all the coconut is moistened. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On one baking sheet, make teaspoon sized coconut balls (the heads). Bake this sheet for 10 minutes or until the coconut begins to barely brown at the edges.

On the other baking sheet, make tablespoon sized coconut balls (the bodies). Bake this sheet for 12 minutes or until the coconut begins to barely brown at the edges. Let them set on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then let them finish cooling on a wire rack.


Making Snowmen
coconut macaroon heads and bodies
chocolate chips
orange Starburst candy
fruit roll-up candy or fruit leather

Melt your chocolate chips. Spread a bit of chocolate on the bottom of one of the small coconut balls and then place the macaroon on one of the large coconut balls. Hold it in place until the chocolate sets so the head will stay straight. Repeat with the rest.

Cut up your fruit roll-ups into long, thin strips 1/8 inch wide to make scarves for your snowmen. Wrap the scarves around the necks of your snowmen, hiding the chocolate you used to glue the heads and bodies together.

With kitchen shears or clean scissors, cut little bits off the edges of the orange Starburst candies to make carrot noses. Press these orange candy bits into the middle of where the faces should be on your snowmen; they should be able to stay stuck on their own. Now, if your chocolate has hardened, remelt it and with a toothpick, dot on eyes and buttons.

16 comments:

  1. These look so cute. I think I could actually do these. I love your directions. I am going to try, I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog..I looked through your posts again last night:) Everything is just so cute it makes me smile.And well done too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh these remind me of the almond joys I made. I love coconut....these are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just adorable. Very clever idea and perfect during all this cold, snowy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette: Thanks. I hope you do try it out :).

    La Table De Nana: Hehe, thank you.

    Dawn: Coconut is delicious. So are almond joys!

    oneordinaryday: It's definitely something fun to do indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sush :) Thanks again for all the cookies. My sister and I have been rationing them day by day because they're way too pretty to eat, and we finally ate the last cookie yesterday haha. Still so so delicious! We shared the last coconut snowman between us (I ate the head and Jade the body) because it was just too delicately cute for one person to eat the whole thing.

    This blog is absolutely amazing. Hope you're doing well love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lin: You're welcome! I enjoyed making the cookies for all of you. And thank you for commenting :). I'm impressed that you two made them last 11 days, hehe. I hope you're doing well too, and best wishes on your studying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi love! I found you on Soompi. I absolutely ADORE all your foods! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why the way... do you have a favorite type of cookie cutters? The gingerbread men are the absolutely, most cutest ones I've seen yet! I'm also a baking junkie :D. Wish I had more time to experiment :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa: Thank you for the sweet comments! Hmm, my favorite cookie cutter? A boring answer, but it's probably my 1" circle cutter. It's probably one of my more practical cookie cutters cuz a circle can be made into many many designs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they`re so cute! love it!

    have a great weekend,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I really want to try this but I can only find sweetened coconut shred, would this recipe still work with sweetened coconut if I don't add the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paula: Thanks!

    Anonymous: Yup, sweetened coconut should work as well. Just decrease the sugar to 1/2 cup sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was looking for creative ideas to decorate macaroons and i stumbled on this posting...i love this idea. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The snowmen are adorable. The directions are easy to follow also. I will make these next Christmas. I didn't do much baking this year like I usually do, I got 1 batch of sugar cookies (cutouts) done, hot chocolate popcorn, and a gingerbread house from scratch made and that was it. I usually start right after Thanksgiving, but I didn't get a chance. I went in the hospital for 5 days and got out on Dec. 2nd. So thank you for sharing your recipe :)
    My gingerbread house is on my fb. :)

    ReplyDelete